Often the legend produced is not appropriate for certain kinds of analysis. The Reclass Layer function allows the user to specify a series of value classes (made up of a value ranges, along with a label and a color) and save the output as a new layer. Unlike the Classified layer type, this function modifies the underlying data of the layer.
To reclass a layer, follow the instructions below:
- Create or load a map with at least one raster layer (e.g. by using the Scenario Generator or loading a raster image file).
- Using the Layers panel, select the raster layer you want to reclass by clicking its name (it should be highlighted blue).
- Locate and click the Reclass Layer button on the SimCLIM toolbar:
- The Reclass Layer dialog will appear. Click the Add button to add one or or more classes. When a new class is added, the min and max values for each class are recalculated, giving each class has an equal distribution of the value range of the layer. As such, it is a good idea to first add all the classes that will be needed before adjusting the min and max values for classes.
- Once classes have been added, the label, min value, max value, result (output value) and colour can be modified. Clicking Load Palette will display a dialog that lets you quickly set class colours based on a pre-created colour palette.
- Specify whether you'd like to resulting layer to be added to the current map, or to a new map window.
- It is also possible to specify a special class for cells that do not fall within the ranges of any of the specified classes.
- Click the OK button to create the re-classed layer.